Wednesday, 24 August 2016

‘Don’t bring things into your home that you intend to throw away’.

I read this comment on one of the Zero Waste Facebook groups I follow.  I find this an excellent guiding principle.

Everyone’s life is different, and what this will mean to your life is not for me to say.  For me, my nemesis is packaging, and even though I try to avoid it when I can, by selecting unpackaged or lightly packaged food when possible, I am a long long way off where I wish to be.  However, I have been trying to switch to reusable anything where possible.  It’s very satisfying to have a closed loop of stuff that you use over and over again.
  • Reusable toilet paper (which you’ve already had the delights of hearing about)
  • Reusable menstrual products (hold your horses, that will be a separate blog post)
  • Reusable cloths and dishcloths instead of sponges and paper towels
  • A reusable takeaway coffee cup
  • Handkerchieves instead of tissues
  • Carefully bought, good quality clothes, shoes, cookware (etc. etc.), which you expect to last for the foreseeable future



Maybe have a think about things that you use once and throw away?  There is usually another way of doing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment